I just finished reading the Cocos2d for iPhone 0.99 Beginner’s Guide book by Pablo Ruiz, and want to share my thoughts on it with you.
This book uses v0.99 of the Cocos2D for iphone engine. while there’s an upgraded version of cocos2d, now it is at the v1.0.0-rc3 so it’s a little out of date.
This book is really nice for beginners like me, but also very frustrating, i got to say that the first three chapters of it are all messy, the code has so many errors, the book says one thing but the sample code says another, deprecated code shows up, you have to google to find a solution, and finally … get your code running. Believe me folks, at that time, i really wanted to give up and start looking for another book about Cocos2d (my tweet confirms that! ), but i decided to continue and give the book a second chance.
Finally a light at the end of the road, starting chapter 4 things becomes really interesting, deprecated code continues but nothing to be alarmed (at this point you should be used to it), right away when you start the second game at chapter 5 … suddenly… it all becomes clear, you think that you can actually complete this book in a blink of an eye, that there’s a God for developers, Saint Cocos2d, you start learning how to create game scenes, game menus, particles system, tiles maps, and using sounds!
The cherry on the cake
This book teach you how you can implement the Openfeint framework with your game, and it’s really damm easy to do it.
so two words: be patient. you can learn so many things with this book, but you really have to be patient with it.
you can download the source code of all games from this book at github:
Overview of Cocos2d for iPhone 0.99 Beginner’s Guide
- A cool guide to learning cocos2d with iPhone to get you into the iPhone game industry quickly
- Learn all the aspects of cocos2d while building three different games
- Add a lot of trendy features such as particles and tilemaps to your games to captivate your players
- Full of illustrations, diagrams, and tips for building iPhone games, with clear step-by-step instructions and practical examples
What you will learn from this book :
- Learn the basics of the most popular 2D framework for iPhone
- Packed with tips and tricks for using this framework
- Use actions and effects to make your graphics stand out
- Implement particles to make your players vibrate
- Make huge levels with Tilemaps
- Play sounds in many different ways
- Give your game real-life physics
- Integrate OpenFeint, the most popular social gaming network, with your game
Table of Contents
- Chapter 1: Getting Started with Cocos2d
- Chapter 2: Playing with Sprites
- Chapter 3: Let’s Do Some Actions
- Chapter 4: Pasting Labels
- Chapter 5: Surfing through Scenes
- Chapter 6: Menu Design
- Chapter 7: Implementing Particle Systems
- Chapter 8: Familiarizing Yourself with Tilemaps
- Chapter 9: Playing Sounds with CocosDenshion
- Chapter 10: Using Physics Engines
- Chapter 11: Integrating OpenFeint